Google Search

Google
 

Friday, July 13, 2007

My Quiet Little Life

It's been a strangely busy and disorienting week. My boyfriend has been out of town, so I can scarcely blame it on him. *smile* Last weekend, I went out on the town with a friend which involved flaming pots of chocolate and a Utah waitress with funky hair. (see Lucky Number Seven). The next day was a birthday party - where adults were asked to come dressed as children and children as adults. Quite fun, and I have the hot pink feather boa to prove it.

My carpet got installed on Monday morning.....VERY happy about how it turned out! So I went in late - this was going to be an odd day anyway - There's one project we have that six people have been trained on (including the manager). FIVE of them were out of the office on Monday leaving only the guy who learned it three weeks ago in charge. Oh joy! So he came in at 6am to cover that.....then my 8am gal came in at 5 to cover *my* teammate who's out. That left *no one* working until 8pm who knows both projects, which is why I came in late.

Monday, I arrive to find out my programmer's hard drive crashed......just as he's uploading the final fix for a program I wrote specs for about five months ago. That night was supposed to be my by-week at pool, but I got called in to play. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday we blew up lots and lots of balloons - over 250 of them - and FILLED this guy's cubicle as a surprise for one of my co-workers. He'd been on vacation, and then his grandfather passed away, so we wanted to do something to cheer him up.

Wednesday, I dropped my bike. TWICE. In fifteen minutes. Turned out that I flooded it the first time I dropped it, which is why it died as I was rounding a corner causing the 2nd crash. I waited an hour for a friend to come help me out. Ended up being late enough that we went to breakfast, since my punishment for tardiness is the same whether I'm two hours late or four. Minor damage to the bike. None to me, unless you count my ego.

Thursday I stayed late again to cover the hours I missed on Wednesday, and then went to see Harry Potter!! I have been waiting months and months for this, and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped it would be. But by the time I got to bed it was quite late.

Today, the movers came. Most of my stuff is now occupying the floor space of my condo. Hallelujah. But it couldn't possibly go smoothly, The first guy to show up was totally lame. Clueless, disorganized, and he spent half his time doing god knows what - searching for bandages for splinters, or taking one small box & a lamp down to the truck instead of loading up the cart & the freight elevator with goods. The second guy was good. The third guy was good, once he arrived, but he was 45 minutes late.

After two hours, none of us wanted the first guy touching anything, so we finally sent him out for food. I took a vote, and it was unanimous to let him go, and handle the piano without him. Note - the piano was the entire reason I ordered three men in the FIRST place.

What took three men two hours to do in Florida, it took three men AND me nearly six hours to do in Washington. Now granted a good hour of that was driving time, but STILL. It made me want to pull what little hair I have left out by the roots. Today was my brother's birthday, and we were supposed to go in early so we could eat at the stadium. That was not to be. The game turned out to be really exciting all the way down to the last pitch, but we netted a loss nonetheless.

Tomorrow, I need to get my license plate & driver's license squared away, and then the DS meeting is in the evening. Sunday, I unpack. My boyfriend comes back in town that night, but he may just want to go home & crash. I think I need a vacation to recover from life. Just when I'd like things to slow down, I have a project heating up at work, I have things I need to buy to start living in my new home (like a mattress & box spring for starters....and a trash can). I need to find a roommate.

What happened to my quiet little life?

--BT

No comments: