Google Search

Google
 

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Lucky Number Seven

Hitting the Jackpot. Winning the Lottery. These are the types of things most people are dreaming about today, on 07/07/07, but for one such friend of mine - she already has won the lottery. Anne has a date with a doctah! *wink*

Louis Pasteur once said that luck is when preparation meets opportunity - and today, one very, very, very prepared friend and I are going out to celebrate the fact that she now has the opportunity for a life-saving operation. It's called the Duodenal Switch, and it is a remarkable gift that restores life to a body that has been robbed by metabolic disorders and obesity. I know, because I've had it myself. It's one of a category of Weight Loss Surgeries, but it does so much more than that. It eliminated my high cholesterol, resolved my insulin resistance (pre-diabetes), and helped me shed well over 100 lbs.

It has taken literally years for Anne to get all of her ducks in a row - qualifying for disability, getting set up on Medicare, waiting (and waiting ZzZzzZzzz and waiting) for Medicare to finally kick in. She is at that balance point of sickness and health to NEED the surgery, yet be physically able to survive it. Her date is scheduled for August, so the tension and fear of the actual operation is still a few weeks down the road.

Today.......today is all about the potential. Luck, and love, and joy, and hope! The what ifs, what might, what could life be like if she were healed. I'm going to quiz her on what she's looking forward to most - the growing list of Wows she's waiting for, and what she's hoping for. It will take a while for her to get there because she has farther to go than some.....and she will not only need to deal with recovery from the surgery, but recovery from the disease as well. But I can hardly wait - she is already an amazing woman, and the power & vitality she'll gain from this will only serve to launch her further into the stratosphere.

It is only fitting that today, SeaFair weekend, here in Seattle....her ship has come in.

Salut!!!

--BT

3 comments:

Deluzy said...

Hey, is this Anne S???? If so, give her a BIG HUG from me ... her DS day has been SO LONG in coming, and she's been amazing on the boards as she's watched others get their turn before her.

xoxo

Blackthorne said...

Yup - that's the one :)

starrgirl's world said...

I, too, am thrilled for Anne. She encouraged me from the get-go and that was two years ago! We must all team up and be there for her!

Meanwhile, I didn't realize that you had a blog! I have linked my blog to yours if that's all right.

Your writing is wonderful to read and I will be checking back regularly now that I know where you are!