Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Buckaroo Banzai's Love Child

There's something about new love which is both intoxicating and maddening. It sets up a conflict within, wishing to dive in, immerse yourself, rush forward to see where it goes, yet stretching it out and savoring each moment and 'first' that comes along. First date, first kiss, first ILY - special moments that mark time better than a calendar. Time cascades into ripples of images, where memories overlay and hours disappear.

My first kiss was Marshall McClanahan who lived across the street. We were six years old, and he moved into the house of my first boyfriend, Johnnie Humphrey, who moved away when I was four. I don't remember why I kissed Marshall, and not Johnnie, but I did. After school, I'd watch old Godzilla movies with Charlie Blaylock, and I held hands with Chris Paine, who walked me home from school through the woods. Other firsts came along - first date, first grownup boyfriend, and of course, who doesn't remember their first time. My first time was highly unusual though.

Many people tell stories of young love, the backseat of a car, the stadium at school, their parents house. I got a menu. *laugh* Knowing we were headed in that direction, he gave me some pillow books to read.....a sort of How-To guide for new lovers....browsing them alone, I was able to see what intrigued me in concept, and what I was actually willing to try. Basically, I was like "I want to try that, and that, and that.....and I don't know if my body bends that way, but just in case it does, I want to try that, too." As a Gemini, it was a perfect introduction.

I had a strange dream afterwards, that my brother who had cancer wanted to come back as my baby and that I was pregnant with him. The morning after, I returned home to find out that my brother really had died - at almost the exact moment I lost my virginity. Twas surreal - Was it a premonition? I don't know; that was nearly twenty years ago, and I have yet to have a child.

It's been a *long* time since I was in love. For the last several years it seems that I was hit and miss with men. I'd meet someone interesting, and they'd move away. Or they wouldn't call. Or they did call, and I had to tell them no. Lots of first dates, and online meet & greets, but no one that really sparked my imagination, my passions and desire. I've tried Yahoo, I've tried Match, I've tried E-Harmony, I even joined Events and Adventures - a singles club that sets up activities for people to do, so they could mingle. Nada!

And then I finally met someone the old fashioned way - in real life. It's still early in the relationship, and who knows where it will go - but it has potential. It took me a while to realize it - we've known each other nearly a year, and both been interested in the other, but unaware that it was mutual. I joke that he's a cross between Buckaroo Banzai and MacGyver. According to IMDB, MacGyver is "Part boy-scout. Part genius. All hero." and "Buckaroo Banzai is a rock-star/brain-surgeon/comic-book-hero/samurai who along with his group, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil creatures from the 8th dimension (all named John) who are trying to conquer our dimension. He is helped by Penny Pretty, who is a dead ringer for his ex-wife, and some good extra-dimensional beings who look and talk like Jamaicans."

What's not to love?

--BT

No comments: