Google Search

Google
 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Twenty-Eight Miles

I've had my motorcycle for a couple of weeks now, but have not had an opportunity to ride it until today. First, I needed to make sure I had insurance on it. Then the weather soured, and I waited for it to clear. I finally had a good evening, only to discover I couldn't back it out of my space (slanted sideways on a hill, backing it UP hill using only my leg muscles since there is no reverse on a motorcycle). I had someone come over this weekend, to turn it around for me so I could use 1st gear to pull out forward instead of backing out.

Over the weekend, it became apparent that the brakes on my car needed some attention (BOY did they need attention, did I discover!), so the need to ride the motorcycle as my back-up transportation came into play. I left a note for work letting them know the car was going in the shop, and I'd be late.

I borrowed some warm riding gear from someone, and headed out to my condo, where I'm keeping the bike. As I was getting ready this morning, it was strange to realize that I was a bit trepidatious about riding it. It's a bigger bike than I've ever ridden before. I'd never gone over 20mph. All of my experience was in a controlled environment - not the semi-controlled chaos of city streets. I knew I wasn't ready for freeways, but surface streets can be equally as unpredictable. Was I ready? Could I handle this? Was it too much for me? Little questions prickled my spine.

I've used a fair bit of caution in avoiding circumstances I knew I wasn't ready for - riding in the rain, on freeways, at night - but I was surprised that I felt fear about getting on it at all. When I dropped my car off at the dealership, I asked for a ride back to my condo.......it's only a block away, but carrying helmet, gloves, backpack, fully armored fully lined motorcycle jacket, and waterproof riding pants, I didn't care to walk it. They dropped me off, and I went inside to dress.

It was now or never. The weather was perfect, I had driven the route I was going to take before, and I was in no rush to get there. If I didn't do it today, I knew I never would. With speed bumps the size of hippopotamuses, the first tenth of a mile was a little bumpy. But then the bike settled down and so did I, and my fears dissipated.

I got to take it around some sharp corners, up and down hills, numerous traffic lights, and many sharp curves. The wind whistled through my helmet, but the armored shoulder pads held my backpack firmly in place. The faster I went, the more comfortable the bike felt. I made it up to 45 mph, and by the time I got to work, I was wishing I worked further away. :)

Today was a gorgeous day here in Seattle, and the bikes began to line up at work, including mine! I went to lunch with another motorcycle enthusiast, and he said I had good riding form. He's *very* experienced, so that's definitely a great compliment to hear. Other than killing the engine nearly every time I started to move on the way to work, and trying to figure out how to make a left turn across rush hour traffic up a hill without a traffic signal on the way home, it was good.

Once I got over it, I had a blast! Now, I need, I need, I need.........riding gear, better boots, accessories for the bike, more experience, and good routes to travel. Just what I need - another expensive hobby. *lol* But the investment in protection is worth the price. If I hadn't just spent $600 on a brake job today, I'd be ready to shop.

So can you guess how far I rode today??

:)

--BT

No comments: